Question from: County Councillor Pete Roberts Subject: Social Housing Waiting List
Recent years have seen a number of long term landlords systematically more out of the rental sector by converting properties into high quality flats that have then been sold on the leasehold market. This is likely to have an impact on the need for increased social housing.
Would the Portfolio holder provide a breakdown of the waiting list by town and giving the following information for each town.
a) Number of households on list
b) Number of individuals in total
c) Number of children (defined as under the age of 16)
d) Number of households in B+B type accommodation
e) Number of Children in B+B type accommodation
Response by the Portfolio Holder:
Thank you for your recent enquiry.
In response to your enquiry, for ease of reference, I have provided the requested information under the following headings.
Homes in Powys (Social Housing Waiting List) Common Housing Register Applicants for each town in Powys.
It is pertinent to note that each of Powys’ 18 towns equates to a specific area of choice on the common housing register and the analysis of the register (please see table 1) is based on those applicants who have specified one of these towns as their first area of choice for re-housing.
Table 1: Analysis of households/town on the Homes on Powys Allocation Register (as of 26th November 2021)
From the analysis carried out I can confirm that there are 3124 households who have specified one of the 18 Powys towns as their first area of choice on their Homes in Powys application form and of these households, 2172 (69.5%) have no dependent children and the other 954 (30.5%) have a total of 1913 dependent children.
It is pertinent to note that in addition to the households who have specified one of the Powys towns as their first area of choice, there are another 927 households on the common housing register who have specified another area of Powys as their first choice covering an additional 116 different areas.
Therefore, in total (as at 26th November 2021) there were 4051 households on the common housing register, 2730 (67.4%) have no dependent children and the other 1321 (32.6%) have a total of 2627 dependent children.
As part of the assessment of each individual application to determine eligibility to join the common housing register an account is taken of the size of the household to determine which bedroom waiting list (1,2,3, 4+) that household should join, and applicants are required to report any change of circumstances so that they continue to be ... view the full minutes text for item 1.