Venue: Council Chamber - County Hall. View directions
Contact: Carol Johnson 01597 826206
Apologies for Absence
To receive apologies for absence.
Apologies were received from County Councillors
The Chair welcomed Debby Jones, Deputy Monitoring Officer and County Councillor W.T. Jones, Portfolio Holder with responsibility for Democratic Services and Member Development and Support, to the meeting.
It was noted that County Councillor E. Michael Jones had been appointed to the Committee by the Powys Independent Alliance Group rather than County Councillor T.Van-Rees. The Committee’s membership details would be amended as appropriate.
To authorise the Chair to sign the minutes of the previous meeting of the Committee as a correct record.
The Chair was authorised to sign the minutes of the meeting held on 4th July, 2016 subject to it being noted that County Councillor P.E. Lewis had given his apologies.
Declarations of Interest
To receive and consider declarations of interests from Members relating to items to be considered on the agenda.
There were no declarations of interest.
Membership of Working Groups
To consider the membership of the following Working Groups:
Constitution Working Group
Member Development Working Group
The Committee considered the membership of the Working Groups. It was noted that the Groups were politically balanced with five Members plus the Chair and Vice Chair.
To consider the report from the Head of Democratic Services.
The Committee considered the report from the Head of Democratic Services [copy filed with the signed minutes].
1. Public Participation at Council meetings
The Head of Democratic Services advised that if the Committee was content with the draft Protocol it should recommend it to Council for adoption for a trial to be undertaken and then reviewed.
The following comments were made [numbers relate to the sections in the draft protocol:
· 2.3 - Questions would not be allowed to Regulatory Committees as they relate to an individual application. Any questions relating to regulatory committee policy would be referred to the Portfolio Holder.
· 2.4 & 2.5 - Children could submit questions. As Council meetings were being webcast, parental consent would be required if a child were to attend to ask a supplementary question.
· 2.6.1 – It was questioned whether the name and address of the questioner would be made public. It was noted that such details are public in respect of an individual who comments on a planning application and only telephone/mobile numbers and email addresses are redacted. It was agreed that there should be consistency in the approach in respect of such details across the Council.
· 2.6.4 – Where a question is accepted and included on the Council agenda, the requestor would not receive any reimbursement for the cost of attending the Council meeting.
· 2.7.1 (iii) – A question would be rejected if it was substantially the same as a question asked by a Member or member of the public in the last six months
· 2.7.1 (xiv) – Where a question is submitted regarding a local matter that has no wider significance to the County, the matter will be referred to the local member
· 2.22 – the supplementary question can be asked to another Portfolio Holder, but the total time available for responses will be four minutes in total. The Chair of Council would also have discretion to vary the time for responses.
2. Provision of the Council diary 2017 to Members
The Committee noted that with the introduction of the Modern committee management system there are opportunities for the Council to operate more efficiently and this also related to the area of Members’ diaries. The Committee noted that by maintaining a diary on the Modern system only, would save £657 each year [£3686 over five years]. In addition, with a number of changes of dates of meetings and in particular additional meetings being inserted in the Council diary during the year, the paper diaries once printed become out of date very rapidly.
With the Modern system, Members could chose to access the calendar electronically or print a copy of the calendar to which they could add details of other commitments. Any ... view the full minutes text for item DSC25 - 2016
To receive the notes of the meeting held on 24th May, 2016.
The Committee received the notes of the Joint Chairs and Vice Chairs Steering Group held on 24th May, 2016.