Venue: By Teams. View directions
Contact: Stephen Boyd 01597 826374
To receive apologies for absence.
There were no apologies for absence.
To authorise the Chair to sign the minutes of the meeting held on 21st September 2021 as a correct record.
The Leader was authorised to sign the minutes of the meeting held on 21st September 2021 as a correct record.
Declarations of Interest
To receive any declarations of interest from Members relating to items to be considered on the agenda.
There were no declarations of interest reported.
To consider the report of the Head of Legal and Democratic Services.
Cabinet considered the Portfolio Business Case for the Mid Wales Growth Deal. The Portfolio Business Case had been approved by the Growing Mid Wales Board and now the Powys and Ceredigion Cabinets were being asked to give approval for it to be submitted to the UK and Welsh Governments.
The purpose of the Portfolio Business Case was to provide an overview of the scope, function and arrangements for the Mid Wales Growth Deal Portfolio, on the basis of an initial set of Programme and Project proposals. The Portfolio currently consisted of a shortlisted set of 2 programmes and 9 projects that would be considered for further development. Approval by the Cabinet at this stage did not guarantee funding for these initial set of programmes/projects, but signified that these options were to be developed further at the cost/risk of the proposers and that the GMW Board would review the detail of the proposals as part of their business case development.
The Leader explained that the Portfolio Business Case had been developed following the process laid down by the two governments. She and the Leader of Ceredigion had held regular meetings with Ministers and had given evidence to the Senedd Scrutiny Committee and to a Select Committee in Westminster. Both Cabinets had been kept briefed throughout the process as had a wide range of stakeholders through the Growing Mid Wales Partnership. The Board had also been supported by the Economic Strategy Group and the Leader thanked the Group and its Chair, Fiona Stewart, for their advice. She thanked all of the officers involved in developing the Portfolio Business Case.
1. To approve the draft Portfolio Business Case for the Mid Wales Growth Deal for approval to submit to UK and Welsh Governments, as set out in the following appendices:
· Appendix 1: Portfolio Business Case (v1)
· Appendix 2: Programme Outline Summary - Digital (v 1 draft)
· Appendix 3: Programme Outline Summary – Land and Property (v1 draft)
· Appendix 4: Integrated Assurance and Approvals Plan (v1 draft).
2. In the event that the draft Portfolio Business Case is approved, Cabinet is also asked for authority to submit the draft Portfolio Business Case to the UK and Welsh Governments:
· To be formally reviewed through the Accounting Officer Review (AOR), on behalf of the Welsh Cities and Growth Deals Implementation Board (WCGIB) – the Joint Board between UK and Welsh Governments that govern Welsh City and Growth Deals.
· To be utilised as a basis for drafting the Final Deal Agreement – that will be negotiated with both Governments and brought back to the GMW Board and to the Cabinets of both Authorities for review and final approval.
3. To authorise the Chief Executive, in consultation with the Leader, the Monitoring Officer and Section 151 Officer (in conjunction with the equivalent officers in Ceredigion County Council) to make minor amendments to the Portfolio Business Case that may be required prior to submission to the UK and Welsh Governments.